Translate

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Meal planning Monday

Meal planning Monday


I actually plan this out on a Saturday. But that doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it?

I know Saturday may be a strange day to plan your weekly menu. I know most people probably have wild plans for a Saturday night but well i

a, have a small child
b, have no money to go out
c, have very few options for babysitters if i could afford to go out.

But most importantly Sunday is the best time for my husband to do the shopping. We tried Internet shopping but my husband likes to go to the shops. He started doing the weekly shop alone when i became heavily pregnant and he said it was a bit of quiet time for him so he continued.

I do however try to keep the cost down by going to my local market for some of the veg such as the tomatoes for the one pot tomato stew, i make a large batch of the sauce and freeze some and the fruit for the compote. I also like to use a local Mobile fish monger for all my fish when i can. We use own brand good where possible. I try to get the most out of what i buy, i consider the chorizo a luxury ingredient but i use it 3 times this week so i can justify the cost of a pack.

Ive been in a bit of a cooking rut recently. In a attempt to get out of it I've raided the cooking books. I have tried to be a bit healthier too. For these meals i have drawn inspiration from, The Hairy Dieters, Economy Gastronomy and Recipes from my Mother for my Daughter.

Monday

B - Crumpets spread with a little honey. Plum and apple compote. I chop one apple and two plums and microwave them with a little water and honey. This makes me two portions. Served with a little yogurt and a drizzle of honey.
L -  Golden veg soup
D - Spanish Style Chicken

Tuesday

B - Granola with Compote and yogurt
L- Golden Veg Soup
D - Minted pea and feta omelette

Wednesday

B - Crumpet, Compote and Yogurt
L - Poached egg on toast
D - One pot tomato stew with Chicken, Chorizo and white beans.

Thursday

B - Smoked Salmon, scrambled egg and half a English Muffin.
L- Jacket potato, cheese and beans.
D - Take out - i have a night off on a Thursday. This is the law!

Friday

B - Fridays are rushed so if i grab a piece of toast I'm lucky. N and R ( my niece who stays every Thursday night) have porridge with a teaspoon of nutella in.
L - Simple sweetcorn and tuna pasta salad
D - Chicken and Mushroom Risotto

Saturday

B - Smoked salmon with scrambled egg on half an English muffin
L - Chorizo frittata with salsa
D - Chicken, Spinach and potato curry

Sunday

B - Grilled bacon, baked tomatoes with balsamic and poached eggs.
L - Roast Chicken with Veg - keep some chicken for mondays meal
D - Something light like soup or a toasted sandwich.

I'll try to get some more recipes up on the site over the week. If there is anything you are particularly interested in then let me know and I'll make it a priority.

I am fascinated by what other families eat so please leave a comment and let me know what you like to cook or if you do a similar meal plan post then feel feel to leave a link in the comments.

P xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.